Hokey Pokey (What this blog's all about)

A writing challenge I've given myself to write every day for six months. After some posts, I'll put in a comment with a brief explanation of the inspiration for the piece. Some posts will be practice for bigger projects: character sketches or settings. I don't really know what all will happen which is why I'm doing it.

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Journal 3

This week I didn't focus on any particular skills.  As I said, I just tried to stick with the pace of writing every day, posting every day.  I only had to cheat one day by posting that crappy essay.  The writing is coming easier and more quickly.  I'm spending more of my passive mental energy during the day thinking of things I could write about which is good.  The habit of daily writing is pretty set now. 

I've continued with this ridiculous diet.  I feel pretty healthy and good.  But I'm tired of how arduous it is to figure out what to eat.  It seems like I have trouble digesting eggs of all things.  That's annoying, but good to know.  Also, no potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, etc.  My knees have hurt for years which I always figured was on account of loving skiing, running, AND soccer and whose knees wouldn't hurt with all that?  But it turns out to be food related.  Ski season ends this weekend.  I gave up skiing this season; that's how bad the snow's been.  I usually get a panic the last day of the season, like my favorite cousin is about to leave and I'll never see her again (in kid-time anyway.)  I hate that.  It's about to happen.  Shitty skiing or no.  So I'll probably get myself on out there one last time after all before it's over.  The last day usually involves some tomfoolery and some stifled tears.  I don't think I have anyone to enjoy the last day with this year though, so probably just that sad end feeling.  My friends have been moving away one at a time lately and now most of my ski homies are gone.  Growing up's a bitch.

I gave my first piano lesson to a professional musician and it went great.  He was even more nervous than I was, which, in an asshole sort of way, made me feel better.  I really enjoyed it.  The lesson, not the asshole part.  Sometimes I forget how much I enjoy teaching.  In my former life, I was a teacher (before I worked for Social Services,) and as soon as I do it again, I love it.  Turns out, I do have things to teach him so I'll be enjoying that adventure. 

Here's what I need to work on: a longer piece.  I'm thinking I should write about the same thing for a few days or posts running and see how that feels.  I also want to challenge myself to work through a block.  Finally, I want to continue to explore other genres. Sci Fi Fantasy seems the hardest, so I'll need to attempt that sometime relatively soon.

As always, I'm putting it out there to push myself, so feedback is very welcome: good and bad.  Gently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment