Hokey Pokey (What this blog's all about)

A writing challenge I've given myself to write every day for six months. After some posts, I'll put in a comment with a brief explanation of the inspiration for the piece. Some posts will be practice for bigger projects: character sketches or settings. I don't really know what all will happen which is why I'm doing it.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Journal 2

I'm pretty proud of myself so far with this blog.  I enjoy it.  I'm sticking to it.  I've put out quite a bit of work so far.  Here are some ways I've pushed myself and the outcomes.

1. Write in the 3rd person.  This sounds simple but I've always written in the first person so changing this up has been a challenge.  It's starting to come naturally to me now and I think I like it better than 1st person.
2. Write in the present.  I'm still working on this.
3. Develop an idea every day.  This is probably the part I'm most pleased about.
4. Choose some male characters.  My favorite of this is Day 15.
5. Not eating constantly while writing.  This was also a huge challenge.  I just like to crunch something in my mouth while I think and write.  But with my highly restrictive diet, that's been next to impossible.  And since I've never been keen on being overweight, (it makes it awfully hard to hike up a mountain,) I'm glad this habit has been changed at least for now.

For now, I'm not going to set a particular goal for the next week related to writing.  I've been applying to grad school and applying for jobs.  So I'm going to try to keep up with the pace I'm setting for myself of writing every day.  I've also gotten a couple of new piano students, one of whom is a professional musician with a studio in his apartment.  He wants to record his lessons.  I find this idea terrifying.  So in keeping with my current theme of pushing myself, I'm going to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment